1827 - 1835, The "Wooden" church Missionaries:
In the early 1800's, the town of Halfmoon extended from the Hudson at Crescent north to Mechanicville, a small huddle of houses within the town, known chiefly as a tavern stop on the King's Highway.
The first recorded church service in the community was conducted on August 5, 1827 by a missionary, "in a convenient room occupied as an office by a gentleman who, though not Episcopalian has, with liberality creditable to him, allowed us the use of it." The missionary reported, "I have continued to officiate at the following places alternately: one Sunday at Mechanicville, one Sunday at Stillwater, one Sunday at Schaghticoke."
In December 1829, a subscription was circulated to erect a house of worship to be consecrated Protestant Episcopal Church but to be free for the use of all sects and denominations of Christians except when occupied by an Episcopal clergyman.
On August 24, 1830, Bishop John Henry Hobart consecrated the little wooden church. The church (completed at a cost of $1200) was 40 x 32 feet with 22-foot sidewalls and a front bell-tower. That same month the Articles of Incorporation for "St. Luke's Church in Halfmoon" were duly executed. It was a beloved structure, this first wooden church, erected on a site near the Hudson River.
However, all was not well. The spirit of brotherly love and Christian Unity had worn thin and was strained. In less than a year several complaints were heard including "singing too loudly", and a few personal encounters and confrontations occurred. From 1833 to 1835, through "quit claim" deeds, the church vestry obtained the release from all other denominations holding an interest in the house of worship. They returned the money collected by subscription to each individual requesting a refund, and thereafter, the property remained under the sole ownership of St. Luke's Church. It was evident that the grounds around the church were used as a cemetery although there is no record of the sale of burial plots or who was interred there.
Rev. Nathanial F. Bruce (1827-1829),
Rev. Orange Clark (1830-1832),
Rev. Cyrus Stebbins (1832-1836).