1897-1999, The years of "Growth & Decline"
In the years following the consecration of the new church, the parishioners saw many changes to their community. The small community, named after the trades of the people that inhabited the area, was now a city. In 1920 the population was nearly 10,000; swelled by the largest paper mill in the world (at that time) and a major railroad transfer yard. The once prosperous brick making industry began its decline during the Depression followed in later decades by the paper mill and railroad yards. By the year 2000 the population had dropped to 5,000.
In 1900 St. Luke's was made a Missionary Center from which the outlying parishes of Stillwater, Schaghticoke, Round Lake and East Line were regularly served. In 1921 the Rev. D.C. Huntington was called to the parish. His was the longest tenure in the history of the church having lasted until 1944, a period of 23 years.
It was reported that, "the parish has steadily grown in membership and in its influence for good in the community". Evidence of Rev. Huntington's concern for the community is illustrated in an incident when, while out walking in near freezing weather, he saw an individual approaching in his shirt sleeves. He removed his coat and wrapped it around the man saying, "Here, you need this more than I do."
In 1924, Trolley Car 64 crashed into St. Luke's Church, after the brakes failed on Park Ave.
In the mid 1930's a woman of the parish advanced the idea of a boy's choir patterned after one in England where she lived prior to coming to the States. She also agreed to pay for a director. The choir members were paid fifty cents a month which attracted many boys who used these funds to assist their families during the depression.
Six stained glass windows, given by Mrs. Herbert O. Bailey, were installed over a period of years from 1936 to 1940 detailing the life of Christ, the seven corporal acts of mercy, the three virtues, the four evangelists and spiritual leaders of the early church.
The Rev. Robert Fields was called in 1953 to be rector. He was active in the fire department, counseled wayward youth and was a promoter of ecumenism before it became popular. Fr. Kaulfuss became rector in 1969. He was active in community organizations including the fire and police departments, Lions Club and was night chaplain at Samaritan Hospital.
During this time the attendance at St. Luke's peaked and began a slow decline, two neighboring missionary churches closed, 1957 in Stillwater and 1990 in Schaghticoke and the parishes were merged with St. Luke's.
Rev. Oliver Shaw Neweall (1900-1909),
Rev. H.C. Plum (1909-1912),
Rev. John Wilkins (1912-1915),
Rev. Frank Damrosch Jr. (1915-1918),
Rev. J.A.G. Tappe (1918-1920),
Rev. David C. Huntington (1921-1944),
Rev. Walter Lawrence Fielding Haylor (1944-1947),
Rev. Hubert Doody (1947-1950),
Rev. Ivan Horton Ball (1950-1953),
Rev. Robert G. Field (1953-1966),
Rev. Curtis S. Denny (1966-1969),
Rev. George W. Kaulfuss (1969-1987),
Rev. Johnathan MacKenzie (1987-1994),
Rev. Mary Margarite Kohn (1994-1999).