1835 - 1897, A period of "Growth"
This period of history, from the time St. Luke's church became an independent entity until the construction of the stone building in 1897, was one of growth resulting primarily from an increase in population in the community. Fifteen rectors served the parish during this period, one of which served for nine years from 1871 to 1880. The record seems to indicate that until 1885 the Church was served by missionaries. From December 1882 to May 1885, except for occasional services, the Church was closed. The Church was reopened when an appointment of a "Missionary in Charge", under the control of the Board of Missionaries of the Diocese of Albany,
In November 1895, the Reverend Benjamin Hall was elected as Rector and from that time on St. Luke's has been served by duly elected Rectors.
During this period a rectory was built (1855) costing $1,700. The building was removed when the Stone Church was built. In 1855, a resolution ordering the disinterment of the dead, laid to rest on church grounds, was enacted and the remains were removed to River View Cemetery. "In 1888, extensive renovations were undertaken to the first church including the construction of a recessed chancel which was planned to be part of an entirely new church which was to be built at a later date. It is reported that during the excavation, workmen unearthed a quantity of human bones".
"On Sunday morning July 19, 1874 during the Declaration of Absolution at morning prayer, Dr. William Tibbits, a most devoted layman of the parish who had served faithfully as a vestryman and warden during the 44 years that the parish had been organized, passed from this life to the life eternal". This is worthy of note because the doctor and his descendants represent a family which, in direct line, was connected with St. Luke's for over 100 years.
In 1895, strong rumors supported by powerful editorials in the local press proposed that the old wood church be removed from its commanding position to make way for a State National Guard Armory. In alarm Mrs. Callamer rushed to Dr. Newton H. Ballou and laid out the situation squarely before him. As a result, the parish received a bequest of $40,000 from Dr. Ballou, a former warden, to build a new church. Provided that it be a stone building with a seating capacity of 600, on the lot belonging to the parish and all debts on the property be paid.
Rev. William Allenson (1836-1838),
Rev. William Hubbard (1838-1843),
Rev. William A. Curtis (1844-1849),
Rev. Robert Fairbairn (1849-1852),
Rev. J. A. Downing (1852-1853),
Rev. William B. Musgrave (1853-1854),
Rev. Robert C. Rogers (1855),
Rev. M. Widdeman (1855-1866),
Rev. Albert Danker Jr. (1866-1868),
Rev. William Bogart Walker (1869-1871),
Rev. Alfred H. Stubbs (1871-1880),
Rev. Wilfred H. Dean (1880-1882),
Rev. Richmond Shreve (1885-1888),
Rev. W.G.W. Lewis (1888-1891),
Rev. E.C. Hoskins (1891-1893),
Rev. F.N. Borick (1893-1895);
Rev. Benjamin T. Hall (1895-1897)